Skip navigation

Tag Archives: silver rings

I just completed two new rings.  The one pictured above is entitled Double Blossom and is part hand sculpted and part cut out and domed.  The ring is entirely fine silver with a wire shank and all of the floral component made from metal clay.  The original design was to use the domed element to nestle a pearl.  As I was assembling the ring it did not look the way I wanted sitting on top of the little pad the wire shank was embedded in, the flower was too small on top of the pad.  Perhaps I mean that the pad had too much visual weight.  I also felt that embedding wire for the pearl to mount on was going to make the cupped flower sit high in an unattractive way and perhaps add further visual weight to the pad underneath.  So, on the fly I sculpted the little pointed petals and eliminated the pearl from the design, giving the flower a simple and much smaller ball center.  I love this ring a lot and would not be considering selling it except the shank is about a whole size too large for my index finger.

The ring below was begun in march.  The shank was fired flat and shaped and then I got busy with other things and set it aside.  I had at that time no firm design for the top of the ring and a long list of things I did know exactly how I wanted to make.  So, in preparing for this Park Forest Art Fair I determined that making some rings would be warranted.  I looked at my small pile of started projects and saw this shank.  It had started to take on some patina from sitting in my studio unprotected and unloved while I made batch after batch of liver of sulfur solution.  The shank looked lovely to be truthful!  So as I prepared for this upcoming fair I let the idea of this shank and its unknown top element roll around in my head for a few days.  I had just ordered some small nephrite jade stones and felt one would not be out of place in a chinese inspired work and that really got the the ideas flowing.  I found a photo of some chinese dogwood blossoms and felt strongly attracted to them.  As many of you know, I make a number of pieces with american dogwood blossoms as focal elements, in part because they were my Mother’s favorite flower.  This blossom is very abstracted as it is all of one piece and has chinese calligraphy over its surface.  The piece turned out well in my opinion.  I got to use a little tip I saw Lora Hart mention recently when setting the stone.  After I had used my bezel pusher I felt the very top edge of the bezel still had a tiny gap around the stone.  She had mentioned using a chop stick to push very hard on the wire.  This technique decreases the chance of harming a stone while finishing up the setting.  It worked like a charm.  Thank you Lora!

Advertisements

This is my 15th ring of the year for the ring a week challenge on Flickr.  I am quite behind at the moment but after this weekend I get a bit of a chance to catch up.  This ring was inspired by the events that surround the earthquakes and tsunamis in Japan.  The ring has had lots of time to rest at every stage of creation.  It finally came together yesterday when I had a chance to rivet the pieces together.  I love it dearly.  It contains a bead that was hand lampworked by Ellen Dooley.  The rest of the ring is fine silver.  It is quite comfortable to wear and fits a size 7 nicely.  In this shot perhaps you cannot see the deeply fluted exterior of the bowl the bead nestles into.  It was inspired by the birdbaths and fountains I see in my walks and trips around town here.  The interior of the bowl is textured with my own fingerprints as I loved the look, it reminds me of ripples on water.  The bead cap has a dot pattern that I have used quite a bit and I chose it as it reminds me of foam on waves.  The shank is the earth.

I have decided to embark on making one ring a week for the entire year of 2011.  There is a flickr group devoted to the Ring a Week project.  If you are not familiar with this idea, last year a group of jewelers committed to making one ring a day all year.  This group was called Ring a Day (or RAD for short) and has gained quite a bit of notice, Lark is publishing a book highlighting the works and the SNAG conference is (or already did I am not sure) having an exhibit of some of the rings from this project.  I felt this was way more than I could do last year but one a week seems doable.  I have only a little experience making rings so the challenge will be an avenue for growth, both as an artist and as inspiration for other work.  Not to mention how much inspiration one can derive from looking at all the rings other people post.  I posted my first piece to the group and already there are three pages on flickr of rings people have made this week!

Santa rewarded me with a new camera and I have spent the last few days learning about using it.  I have spent some time researching macro photography and product photography as my first photos were not acceptable.  I feel sure I have so much more to learn but here is my first photo using the new camera.  The ring below is posted on flickr and is fine silver.  The shank was made using wire on a finger shaped mandrel.  I adore this shape for a ring shank.  It is sort of like a cushioned square with one side being slightly narrower than the opposite side.  The effect is that it is easier to put on, more comfortable to wear and has less tendency to slide sideways.