Skip navigation

I made some viking knit bracelets to bring to the ci|creative fair last weekend.  Seems to me it is less than obvious how it was done when you look at the finished product.  The process shot I include here shows some steps in the making of the bracelet.  Around the outside is a bit of argentium wire left over from the bracelets.  On the right hand side is a big open tube with red ends.  That is the way the bracelet looks right after it is woven.  The red ends are copper wire added because the process of compressing will likely ruin the wire on the ends and copper is quite cheap when compared to silver.  This bracelet is tapered, so the wire changes from 24 gauge to 19 and back to 24 gauge.  The way my husband and I proceeded from the open looking tube to get to the item in the center involves a bit of pulling on both ends and a bit of beating with a hunk of wood.  Once it is satisfyingly dense, you can’t see through it any longer, the copper scrap wire is trimmed away.  Because the silver work hardened it had been annealed a few times and was tarnished.  A trip to the pickle bath removed all the black.  End caps and some wire wrap to add the fasteners finish off the bracelet.  I used liver of sulfur to patina one and left one bright.  The finished bracelet in this shot is the oxidized one.vikingknitprocess

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: